Marissa DuBois in Slow Motion Full Fashion Week 2023, Fashion Channel Vlog,

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Mayor of Orange

I have lived and worked in Orange for most of my life. I went to school here and have

children now bringing up their families here. I can’t imagine living anywhere else.

For good reason, every day new residents are calling Orange home.

Data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics in April last year found that the
population of Orange was growing faster than almost any other country centre in the state and was ahead of many parts of Sydney.

Nine of the ten fastest growing local government areas outside the Sydney were in inland NSW and Orange was 3rd on that list.

The most recent Census data shows that Orange’s population grew by 7.7 % up from 35,339 in 2006 to 38,057 in 2011.

And the largest age group in Orange is the 0-4 year olds and anyone that has been to an event in Orange can attest to the happy stampede of young families, of toddlers and strollers.

I understand what attracts people to live here.

In Orange, I see the best PCYC in NSW with indoor courts, cutting-edge gymnastic equipment and more than 3000 members. I see a Regional Conservatorium with more than 900 talented young students finding their feet and the hitting right notes in the world of music. I see an indoor aquatic centre that delivers year round activities and I see more than 500 hectares of open recreation space and parks.

If there is a better example in Australia of a Victorian era park than Orange’s Cook Park then it would certainly be worth seeing.

In Orange, I see a growing education sector and a university with vision to expand. I see at a cost of $290 million plus the newest and best hospital in the State offering services to close to half of NSW.

I see a city at the heart of regional economy with a gross regional product of around $2 billion. I see wide, tree-lined streets and a buoyant retail sector. And I see Orange as a food and wine destination rivalling and surpassing longer established areas across the country. I see a diversity of industry and employment opportunities from mining to health and from winemaking to boiler making. I see four distinct seasons of which my highlights are the colours of Autumn and the vibrancy of Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment